05 January 2013

Saturday Spotlight: The Daily Prophecy


What is Saturday Spotlight? It's where I drag bloggers onto my blog for an interview. It's not part of a hop or any organized event. It's merely a way to feature bloggers and get inside their heads a bit. Like a psych session, but fun.



ABOUT THE BLOG

When did your blog come into existence?
I started The Daily Prophecy on February 4th 2012 and I have enjoyed every minute of it. I’m definitely not tired of blogging!
Your blog in three words:
Fairytales. YA. Passionate.
What makes your blog yours, meaning unique?
My blog is unique, because of me! My native language is Dutch and I think that it makes my reviews different. I might use other words or I say things in another way (and I always hope that I don’t make too many mistakes!) I do my best to put my personality into my reviews (mostly about fairytales and retellings). I’m also a huge Disney fan, so I use a cute Winnie the Pooh character in my signature. I hope that my readers get to know me through those little details. 
If you ever had to retitle your blog, would you? And what would the new title be?
I’m not sure. Life of a bookworm is exactly what my blog is all about, but I think it’s such a standard name. I might change it to The daily Prophecy, my url, because I love that name. It’s a reference to my love for Harry Potter (I came up with this name after the newspaper, The Daily Prophet.)

ABOUT THE BLOGGER

How did the blog-bug bite (why did you start blogging)?
I don’t know anyone else who reads as much as I do and I needed a place to talk about books. I made an account on Goodreads and I started to review my books there. I also like to read reviews and I noticed that some reviewers linked to their websites. After visiting them, I just knew I had to make my own blog. 
Do you have a review that you’re particularly proud of?
I don’t think that my reviews are the best reviews out there, because I’m still learning, but I’m very pleased with my review about Tiger Lily from Jodi Lynn Anderson. I have the idea that people can understand why I love that book so much. The review was easy to write.
Is there a blog that inspired you/still inspires you?
Most blogs inspire me, actually. Every blog has something different to offer and everyone is unique :) But the blogs I’ve listed in my sidebar are special blogs and they definitely inspire me the most.
What excites you most about being a book review blogger?
I can finally talk about books with other book lovers! I can discuss things that bother me, I can fangirl, I can share my sadness when a series end, it’s great! And I have to admit that my first review copies also made me very excited. It’s a wonderful feeling when a publisher is so generous to give you a book. I never expected it; I didn’t even know that it was possible when I started to blog.
Five books everyone should read:
The most obvious book would be Harry Potter, but I will try to come up with five other titles:
  1. Jodi Lynn Anderson – Tiger Lily.
  2. Markus Zusak – The book thief.
  3. Juliet Marillier – Daughter of the forest.
  4. Julie Kagawa – The immortal rules.
  5. Carrie Ryan – The forest of hands and teeth. 
If a new blogger came up to you for advice, what would you tell them?
If you start to blog, be prepared to ‘work’ hard for it, but it’s definitely worth the time. Every minute you invest, will pay out. You will make new friends and your reading list will be endless.

ABOUT THE GAL

What got you into reading?
I’ve been a reader all my life. When I was little and I couldn’t even read, I always had a book in my hands. I used to ‘read’ every minute of the day. My parents always read a few pages before I went to sleep. I had a book from Disney from Beauty and the beast (still my favorite fairytale) and they had to read it to me every night. If they tried to skip a part from the story, I would correct them and continue to ‘read’ it out loud myself.

There is also a fantastic picture of me, reading to my baby sister. I sit on top of a pile of books, with a book upside down and she is trying to sleep, but I wouldn’t let her. Haha.
Do your friends and family know about your blog?
My family (mother, father, sister and grandparents) and boyfriend know about my blog. I told one of my friends about it, but I’ve never shown her my blog. I like it this way.
What are three things people may not know about you?
  1. I hate math with a fierce passion (and I’m not very good at it)
  2. I actually started to read huge amounts of YA books this year. Before I discovered my love for YA, I read a lot of thrillers and adult fantasy.  
  3. I hate the winter! I can’t stand the cold.
If you had a superpower, what would it be and what would you do with it?
That is such a hard question! There are so many awesome things. But… I would love to have Super brain power; learning a language in one day, reading a book in an hour – that would definitely help me with my reading pile and endless wish list! My extreme intelligence will give me a fantastic idea, so I can become rich and buy every book in the world and travel to every country I want to visit.

Thank you so much for having me here!